Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sisters in Song.


This is a story abut courage, about standing in the face of the shadow, about stepping up and into dreams. This is the journey that me and the 6 other women in my singing group have been faced with over the last 3 months. We all signed up for Kathryn Jones Kickstart mentorship program and have been on a roller coaster ride of self discovery, of friendship, of laughter and of tears. The program is designed to get us out of our comfort zones, and sitting in the tension of creating our musical dreams. And indeed it has lived up to it. 

Given that public speaking is one of the most feared thing on the planet, and singing is a step up from speaking, you quickly start to realise that  this is one of the most confronting things one can choose to do with their time. To bear ones soul, to open ones voice and heart, to stay in key, in pitch and in rhythm all at the same time, i must say is one of the biggest challenges one can take on. But the challenge really isn't about getting up there and singing. The real challenge is facing all the parts of yourself that aren't ready to shine. Its about facing all the years of conditioning that say "Your not good enough". Its about stepping up into the fear and doing it anyway.


As each week has gone past, i have faced my shadow and have been facing my fears, and i have watched them slowly loose their hold on me. I'm not saying my fears have gone altogether, but their grip has been loosened, and I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. The reason i have chosen to write about this, is in the hope that it lands in the hands of someone else who is struggling with fear in a particular area of life. A good friend used to tell me to stand in the darkness, and face my fear, but i was always to scared to do it. After so many years of hiding from things I'm scared of, i now have a knew place to operate from. Sure i don't have to face every fear at once, but now that i have this experience under my belt, when i feel that sense of fear come up, i have a whole new place to come from. And it feels so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment